Tuesday, September 23, 2008

From Luo Yang Monday

Beijing and on

We were allowed to sleep in (= up by 8 instead of 7 or 6) then at 11.30 assembled at the busses where random selection saw us on "Bus Two", Chong as the local guide.






We were told to stick with the bus we started with and during the day it became clear why. The staff were able to calculate two of our fellows were missing. Abandoned to their fate they later turned up at the hotel after international exchange with a group of taxi drivers and their map.

Our day started with the Summer Palace, palaces on the edge of a largely manmade lake. We steamed over from our entry point to the main palace in early quiet dragon boats.



Lunch at a very good chinese restaurant. We were assured that any ice was made from bottled mineral water, falling ill being #2 worry of everyone, just behind losing their passport as #1.

Next stop The Temple of Heaven. It was impressive but what would have been good to have been able to have lingered at, was the choirs on the way in. They looked like "Do It Yourself" and were very good. I think if we were by ourselves we would have spent the best part of an hour there. Our first set of steps was there too.





The evening meal was at the Quan Ju De Duck, supposedly the best Peking Duck in town. Fortunately we had previously had Peking Duck in Derby and knew the drill.





We were warned that Sunday was to be a big day and it was. Gone by 8.30 with first stop Tiananmen Square. The first sight there past security (and nearly losing my bag in the Rush and Push scam) was a queue which we best guessed at 5,000, on the way to see Chairman Mao in his tomb.






The Forbidden City. Starting at the South Gate we progressed through a series of arched buildings which didnt seem as though they would come to an end. At the far end were the concubines quarters with peaceful courtyards, a change from the crowds outside.

Coming out, we had experienced hawkers before but never such an aggressive and numerous lot. We survived and went on to the Great Wall. What I hadnt realised is that there are a couple of 'samples' where the tourists can access it and our sample was unbelievebly steep. There were handrails and I hauled myself up wherever possible.
Did I mention it was drizzling by now? At least that made it cooler than the 30 C up till then. But we made it to Major Achievement Point #1 and took our photo there as proof.








Today we have joined our train, the China Orient Express to commence our 8,900 km trip (+ the bit to St Petersburg). We have seen an awful lot of rural China, which grows and awful lot of maize. I can only guess it is for biofuel.
The train is wonderful. I wonder what I will think in 30 days time. The cabin is cramped but there is a seat and a nice big window. And a power point for the laptop. No wireless internet that I have been able to find so this will only be published intermittently. So for now I will finish and copy and paste to the blog when we find internet next.

(Which we have in Luo Yang)

No comments: