Friday, October 31, 2008

Moscow One

Not sure what job these ladies had but they looked happy enough doing it. I suspect they were razzing our train crew.



There must be millions of these dachas in Russia. They are everywhere in the countryside. I guess they make life liveable for those who have to live the rest of the time in high rise.


Subtly, all dachas are different. Note the bathtub in the yard which was very common.



Another belt and braces rail crossing.


Every village had its church with a golden tower or two. I suspect Russia was/is far more religious than its communist leaders tried to make out.


The train which finally hauled us into Moscow. The first engine unit hooked in the Russian train was diesel. In fact from the smoke going past our carriage when the Russian train first started I thought for a while there was a fire somewhere.


Smolensk Cathedral at Novodevichy Convent where Boris Gudonuv was proclaimed tsar.



The convent raised some cash initially by allowing some to be buried in its yard. The demand became so great they put aside a section walled off from the cathedral. So, amonst others buried at great expense, are the graves of Chekov, aircraft designers Tupolov and Ilyshin and bizzarly, communist leaders Yeltsin and Kruschev.

Yeltsins designer had had as much to drink as the man himself.


Kruschev headstone

No comments: