Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Last Leg

After five weeks, more than 10,000 train kilometers and innumerable once-in-a-lifetime sights, it was time to return to the less enjoyable mode of travel, the aeroplane. First leg was to Frankfurt with Lufthansa. St Petersburg airport was small and we went in hopeful that it was also efficient.
It was a shambles. The rich amongst us went to the Business Class queue and we joined the plebs in the Economy. After 45 minutes those at the head of each queue were still at the head. The Russians were averse to eTickets and that was the problem. Eventually Jo, our leader, found someone senior enough to stop the nonsense and we went through.
We went through to security where their supersensitive metal detector wands were set off by my lightweight golf trousers. Eventually the guy conceded I couldnt be hiding anything in my calf and I went through. Then we were crammed into the waiting room allocated to our flight after going through another security check as rigorous as the first.

Finally took off and coming into Frankfurt had a great view of the city lights. Then after eventually finding our connecting flight to Singapore (0 out of 10 for Frankfurt airport user friendliness) and going through yet another security check when all we could have picked up since we first entered an airport was the dinner fork, we were properly on our way.

Singapore Airport Butterfly Room provided a nice break and something different.





I remember when I first went through Singapore Airport the smokers were banished to an outside area where they got the full benefit of the heat and humidity and any rain at the time. Now they are in this glass cage to be stared at.

And finishing on a bright note Tim, the Apple Store in Terminal Three.


We arrived in Brisbane at the same time as a Qantas jumbo and feared a long delay through Customs. But full marks to them, the longest delay was, as usual, waiting for our luggage. The nice Customs man checked our wooden Russian Dolls and okayed them and it was out to the train to go up to the domestic terminal. A bit of a shock as the train comes every 20 minutes. Last commuter train we took was in Moscow Metro which came every three minutes. Ahh, back in Oz.

Here ends the trip although I have a few more photos I would like to add. You will notice there are no photos of soldiers, policemen, army vehicles, customs and immigration and border check points. Sadly, while they were very interesting, I had no wish to lose my camera or memory card

No comments: